I read a really good article from The Tyee this morning posted by Canadian Center for Policy Alternatives economist Iglika Ivanova. You can read the entirety of the article here but I wanted to post the seven reasons for you to read and give some thought to.
1. Making university education more affordable would allow more Canadians to access this key tool for social mobility.
2. Financial barriers to education impact Canada’s economic well-being.
3. Questions of access to education are more important today than ever before because higher education is increasingly becoming a standard job requirement.
4. Student loans don’t make up for high tuition fees.
5. An educated society benefits everybody, not just the people who go to university.
6. The fact that individuals gain from having higher education is not sufficient reason to rely on tuition (i.e. user fees) to finance education.
7. Education is a great investment for our public dollars: students repay the full cost of their education through taxes over their working careers.
Please do read Iglika’s article and leave a comment there. Of course, please also feel free to leave a comment here.